Sansa’s Lemon Cakes
Are you a Game of Thrones junkie? I am. I just started watching it a few months ago and I’m almost caught up. I can’t believe how addicting it is.
Some of my friends have been after me for years to watch it, but I’ve never been much for fantasy or science fiction. And while I’m still not huge on those genres, something about Game of Thrones is just so. damn. good. Kinda like these lemon cakes.
We all know lemon cakes are Sansa Stark’s favorite. And really, who can blame her?
Today I was hankering for a summer-y treat and thought it’d be fun to bake up a batch of lemon cakes. I doctored up my super easy (and versatile!) Gâteau au yaourt (French yogurt cake) recipe to make these lemony bites of heaven.
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 lemons (zest 1 lemon)
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract- optional
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake pan with liners. Batter should be enough for exactly 12 cakes.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat eggs. Add oil, sugar, juice of one lemon and yogurt, mix for 1 minute until smooth. Add flour, zest of one lemon and baking powder. Mix until well combined. Using a scant 1/4 cup measure, pour batter into cupcake pan and bake 18-20 minutes.
- Cool cakes. While cakes are cooling, make the glaze. Pour 1 tablespoon of lemon juice into a small glass bowl. Add 1/3 cup of powdered sugar and vanilla extract if desired. Mix and taste. Add more sugar or lemon juice to taste. Set aside.
- When completely cooled, peel off cupcake liner and put upside down on serving plate. Drizzle with glaze and serve.