Dear Southwest Airlines: An Open Letter
Dear Southwest Airlines,
As you might have heard, these are not great times for air travel. While I’m thrilled that air travel has become more accessible and affordable for the masses, there’s something to be said for the, ahem, “user experience.”
You don’t need to look very hard to find examples. Do you remember when an airline became the “fashion police?“ Or when a passenger was forcibly dragged off an overbooked flight? There are countless stories. Suffice it to say that the user experience of flying is just not all that great.
On one had, I’m thrilled that flights are so affordable these days. A couple decades ago, the thought of a “weekend girls trip” or a quick flight to see your favorite sports team play was reserved for the wealthy. Now, it’s pretty common. Accessible. Which is great. But you know what? I’m a millennial. And I expect more. I fully expect that efficiency and customer service can go hand in hand. In fact, that’s the mark of a remarkable company.
And you, my dear Southwest Airlines, have delivered. You’ve radically challenged the idea that a company can be profitable only at their customer’s expense. Affordable prices. Ease of changing your flights. An egalitarian seating system based not on some annoying “status” but on a passenger’s motivation. Have a lot of time? Set a reminder to check in for your fight as soon as possible. Have more money than time? Pay for automatic check in.
Southwest Airlines, here are 5 reasons I adore you, and will remain loyal to your awesome business.
- As a travel hacker, I really really like to…wait for it…HACK FREE FLIGHTS. Shocking, I know. But man, I love me some free flights. You make this incredibly easy. And I’m not the only one who thinks so. In fact, you’ve been consistently ranked by the Freddie Awards as the top airline reward program in the USA. Love it. Love you, SW!
- Customer service. You could say that I travel a lot. And I’m reasonable, and fully recognize that sometimes things go wrong. Flights get delayed. Or cancelled. Bags get lost. On the rare occasion that’s happened on a SW flight, you and your team go above and beyond. In my former life as a restaurant manager, we always discussed this “unicorn” of customer service…exceeding expectations. The ability to change an unfortunate experience into one that leaves a customer feeling totally satisfied is the pinnacle of outstanding service.
- Thanks for not making me pay for the “extras” that really shouldn’t be “extra.” The checked bags and the drinks. The snacks. The smiles from the attendants that other airlines reserve only for their business and first class flights.
- I fly a lot. And I always choose you, except when I don’t. This only happens if there’s no option to fly where I want to fly. Like on a recent flight to Vancouver, BC. And I totally forgot how spoiled I am with the amount of leg room and seat space I get on your airline. Like seriously, how do people deal with other carriers and the lack of space? At 5’4, I’m not even that tall and it was so damn uncomfortable.
- And my favorite bit? Due to your outstanding egalitarian structure, the snobbiest passengers opt for other airlines. When I board a Southwest flight, I can rest assured that it’s the friendliest option in the sky.
Your customer for life, who’s about to board her third SW flight in the last 4 days.
*This is NOT a sponsored post. I just really freaking love this quirky, fun and affordable airline.*
12 thoughts on “Dear Southwest Airlines: An Open Letter”
I will make sure to fly with them when in the US, thanks
Time for me to change my airplane company then. Lovely post.
Nice to know more about Southwest airlines. Appreciate that you are able to identify the positive sides of the services. So anyone who reads this post will surely make a trip through the Southwest airlines. Thank you sharing.
I absolutely love Southwest Airlines too. I’d love to find a way to earn more miles without using the credit card option.
Every last word of this post is 200% accurate and exactly why we fly primarily Southwest, excluding times that we simply cannot. I have praised southwest on a couple of my own posts – not sponsored- but I love this. They deserve an entire post dedicated to their awesomeness and I may just add that into my schedule. There is no better airline for US travel. Oh, and can I say how stoked I am that they now fly South?!?!?
How amazing that all of us choose to write NON=SPONSORED posts about our love of this airline. They are totally doing something right.
We LOVE Southwest. We’re fortunate to be able to use them most anywhere we travel and we always look at them first. They are great with kids, too. After all the horror stories I’ve heard about airlines, I’m thankful for Southwest.
I’ve never flown Southwest before, now I’m wanting to!
I fly a lot for work, and I never think to take Southwest. I’m definitely going to give it a try next time!
I love Southwest!!!! I seriously won’t fly with anyone but them!
It’s always awesome to have good experiences. I love that you are showing your love for this airline!