Inside: A delicious recipe for Instant Pot Pork Loin with Sour Cream Gravy. This unique recipe for Instant Pot pork loin is a family favorite. The gravy is to die for!
Do you have a list of recipes you like pull out for dinner parties? A special dish that’s so tasty and unique that you love to serve it to your friends and loved ones? My Instant Pot pork loin with sour cream gravy is one of those dishes. It’s an Austrian dish that my husband grew up on, made easier and faster thanks to my trusty Instant Pot!
I’ve never seen the original recipe, but I’ve eaten it a few times at my in-laws and have adapted it to my tastes (added a few more spices, etc) I’ve made it lots of different ways – on the stove with pork chops, in the oven with a pork roast, and now, in the Instant Pot with pork loin!
The magic of this dish is the gravy – it’s sooooo delicious and flavorful!
First things first – pork loin and pork tenderloin are not the same. You can read about the difference here.
This recipe is for Instant Pot pork loin, and if you use a tenderloin, the meat will be really dried out and tough. Just a heads up!
I also use an immersion blender which I LOVE to make soups, fresh salsa, smoothies, or even to whip up a quick pancake batter! If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can also pour ingredients into a regular blender, but be careful not to overfill, as hot liquid can expand and make a huge mess. I know because I’ve done it. Twice. Immersion blenders are WAY better!
Instant Pot Pork Loin Ingredients:
3lb Pork Loin
1 medium white onion, sliced
1lb carrots (about 4 medium size), chopped
Oil (I like avocado oil)
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp caraway seeds
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 cup water
Sour Cream Gravy Ingredients:
1 cup sour cream
1 Tbl capers (or more to taste)
1/2 cup parsley
1 tsp caraway seeds
1 Tbl cornstarch (or flour)
1/2 tsp salt (to taste – capers can be salty so taste sauce and add conservatively)
Instant Pot Pork Loin Instructions:
- Turn Instant Pot to saute. Once hot, swirl in a bit of oil (about 1 tbl)
- Trim fat and if your pork is too large to fit easily into the pot, cut in half.
- Mix together spices and massage into the pork loin.
- Once the Instant Pot is hot, add pork using tongs, and sear on all sides until brown – about 2-3 minutes. Once brown, remove pork and set on a plate.
- Add in the sliced onion and chopped carrots. Stir for 2-3 minutes until they show some color and then add in 1/4 cup water to deglaze the pot. Scrape up any bits stuck to the bottom – mmmm flavor!
- Place pork on top of carrot/onion mixture and cancel the saute feature.
- Using the manual setting, set Instant Pot for 20 minutes, making sure the valve is closed. If your loin is thicker than mine (pictured) you will need to increase the cook time.
- Once timer goes off, you can quick release the valve and set the pork on a cutting board to rest.
For the sour cream gravy:
- Remove some liquid from pot until you have about 1/3 cup of liquid remaining. I like to use a serving spoon to scoop out excess liquid. You want enough liquid left in the pot to blend the carrots and onions into a puree, but too much water makes it runny.
- Add in parsley, capers, caraway seeds, sour cream and cornstarch. Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. I like to turn the saute feature back on for a few minutes to help thicken the gravy while I slice the pork. Turn off and taste – add salt if needed.
I love to serve over egg noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes. Trust me, you’re going to want something to soak up that amazing gravy!
My little one practically drinks the gravy out of the ladle. And I’m totally fine with that because it’s mostly just carrots!
More gravy, Mommy! MORE GRAVY!
Here are the tools I used to make this dish.